Saturday, September 5, 2009

Heart-Attack Helper

I used to not care what I ate. I would just eat whatever tasted good, and not care about how bad for me it was. Recently, I've changed my ways somewhat since I'm not getting any younger. I stopped subsisting solely on Campbell's Soup (so much sodium!) and am trying to eat healthier in general. Not SUPER healthy, mind you. I am not interested in becoming a vegetarian at all. I just think I can cut out a lot of processed foods.

Anyway, I was going through my pantry and I noticed I still had a box of both Tuna and Hamburger Helper and I glanced at the back. I used to stretch one of these over two days, but I think I need to cut them completely. I don't feel too bad eating a pound of hamburger over two days (Hamburger Helper's main ingredient), but Tuna Helper might not be much better. For some reason, the box of it I had called for 1/4 cup of butter.

That's half a stick. Of Butter. For one person. And none of it will be wasted, it will be the sauce.

So what's worse? A pound of hamburger meat, or half a stick of butter?

A pound of ground round contains (and this is basic research) approximately 20 grams of fat. Not great, but that's to be expected.

A half stick of butter contains.... get ready for it.... around 45 grams of fat.

Holy shit. Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment